Monday, April 28, 2014

Nike Half Recap--Saturday

My 3rd half marathon has come and gone! As I type this while rolling out my calve (more to come about that later), I am going to jump forward to the best part about this half...another PR! 2:04! 4 minutes off from my Diva Half time! I was hoping to break 2 hours this half, but when some complications arose (more about that below), I just focused on getting a PR.


Saturday
Ben and I arrived in the city around 1 in the afternoon. After dropping off our luggage at our hotel (which was right next to a metro stop and 2 blocks from the race), we hoped back on the metro to head to Georgetown to pick up my packet. After a 15 minute walk from the metro and elbowing through the crowded sidewalks of Georgetown, we arrived at the Expo! The Packet Pick-Up and T-shirt tents were easy in and outs and I was excited to see what goodies awaited me in the Expo tent.

I was disappointed.

It was just lines and lines of people looking at Nike apparel (there was a line to see the stuff then a different line to check out) then lines for a hair salon or to sign your name in this electric wall. Ben and I were ready to leave then.

Once back at our hotel and checked in (top floor! Celebrity status haha), we met up with my dad, who was in town for business, and we went for a walk around the city. Since the race was so close to where the hotel was, we wondered down there first so I knew where I would be going, etc. It was pretty cool to a street so empty when I knew in 12 hours it would be packed!
After my dad left, Ben and I tried finding a place to eat. Trying to find a place for me to carbo load during dinner hour in DC was a lot harder than we thought. 45 minute here.... 1.5 hour wait there....ugh. We ended up just going to a sandwich shop next to the hotel and getting something to bring back to the room to eat, which was fine with me!

While we finished up eating, I laid out all my stuff for in the morning

Did one last roller on the legs, ice the IT band, and off to bed I went!

Race Recap coming up...

No comments: