Monday, September 2, 2013

12 miles broke my heart

Happy Labor Day everyone!
 
Due to hosting Tori's Bridal Shower Saturday and helping her out with some bridal duties yesterday, my 12 mile run was moved to today. Having feel great about my past 2 long runs and feeling good about my time, I was ready to get this 12 mile run over and done with.
 
Playlist was set.
 
Due to my shorts not having pockets, I find a second source...stapling a zip-lock bag to my shorts to hold my chew blocks.
And off  I went!
 
And just like the title says, the run broke my heart. It was my fault for starting the run at 9 and running during the 2 hours where the humidity was rising. I ran out of water around mile 8, but thank god for being near Liz's house to refill it, but then my hips tightened up on me around mile 9 so I finished feeling pained, heat exhausted, and miserable.
I texted Ben when I finished telling how much it sucked and I felt awful and his response made me feel better and a bit stronger about myself. He told me that "Most people would have quit. But you didn't. That's beastness" . I had many times today where I thought about just stopping and walking back to my car, but I wanted to get to 12 miles. The heat is what really got me and wore down my body sooner than I wanted. Luckily the half will be starting much earlier than 9 so it won't be as warm then! Anyone else ready for this humidity to be over?!?!
 
Got home and my dad immediately started a bath for me in the whirlpool, best dad ever!!
 
Since my 12 miles are done, I will spend the next two weeks tapering back, running no more than 5 miles. I can't believe how much faster this training has gone than my Disney training. Maybe it's because I've done this before so my body remembered!
 
So lesson from today's post: Be safe and weather wary when you plan on going running!! Make sure you have plenty of fluids and listen to your mind. If you start feeling dizzy, nauseous, or anything along those sorts, STOP!
 
 
 

No comments: