Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mud Run Recap

Now that I am all showered and mud free, I am sitting down to do a recap of this morning!

Mad Anthony Mud Run 
With the race not starting till 9:30, I didn't wake up till 8. Major fan of this and not having to wake up at 7 or earlier to run at 7:30/8 like most races! I left my house around 8:30 to get to the bus pick up by 9. Buses were shuttling everyone over to the course. Once at the course, Tori and I took a before picture and headed to the start. Got some good laughs with some peoples costumes (bananas! Power rangers!) and by some comments being made around us.

We were in the 2nd wave so had to wait 5 minutes after the first wave went. 5 minutes later and the horn blares, and we're off!! 
Obstacle #1 --Tires. Unfortunately, this was a bottle neck area so instead of hoping through the tires like we were meant to do, we just shuffled through with the crowd walking through them. 

Running to Obstacle #2, my right shoe falls off in the mud. I slide it back on with a good chunk of mud now in my shoe. 
Obstacle #2 -- Balance Beam over mud pit. Walk over with ease though was prepared for Tori to do something to the beam to make me fall over ;)
Obstacle #3 - Hay Bales. Lots of waiting for this one. Thank god for Tori this obstacle, she lifted me over them. Though got major hay burn on my leg. 
Obstacle #4- Wall Climb. 
Obstacle #5 - Up and Over Logs. 
This is where we see Tori's husband, Nick and he tells us the muddiest part is about to come up. 

And enter mud land we did (obstacle #6). It was a mud swamp! But honestly, I was glad to cause it was a mud run so I wanted to get muddy and dirty!

Obstacle #7-- A fence we climbed up and over.
Obstacle #8 -- Probably the one that Tori and I talked about the most-- The Water Tunnel! We ran through a tunnel that was under interstate 64 that water goes through. IT WAS FREEZING! I have done 2 Polar Plunges and this water was the coldest by far. Our feet felt like huge ice cubes when we came out of it.

More running through mud and sticks. 

Back through the Water Tunnel but this time, Tori and I hopped up on a pipe and walked on that, save our frozen feet. 

More running through mud and sticks. and hills.

Ah, water station at mile 3! I drank some of my water before pouring some on my hands to get rid of the dried mud. Then we had to answer trivia questions that had been posted in the first part of the race...in which Tori and I had paid no attention to. Oops! Because we got our questions wrong, we had to carry cement blocks up and down a hill before continuing on. Quick little arm workout! 

More running through mud sticks and down hills, one of whom was straight down of mud.

Obstacle #9: Crawl through big pipes up a hill.  We had to curl through 2 pipes and then climb over 2. I banged my hip into one trying to get over. There'll be a bruise there tomorrow. 

More running/mud sliding. We hear the finish! One more obstacle to go!

Obstacle #10 - A taller wall climb. I kinda cheat by climbing up but going around the side rather than over. Sh!

We run the rest of the way and then Tori, with the finish in sight, says "Race to the finish" and we take off sprinting! I beat her only by a margin and also she also slid out in mud haha.




I could not have asked for a more perfect day to run! Upper 40s and sunny was perfect for this race. I couldn't have imagined what that water would've felt like if it was any colder! Running with my best friend made even more enjoyable. I had no complaints for this race except for the bottle necking that happened for the first 3 obstacles. The shuttle service, later start, well-marked course, and helpful hands were much appreciated! 

As was my shower when I got home. 



No comments: